Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Update Indian Super League 2020-21: Match news/ updates

NorthEast United hold Kerala Blasters to 2-2 draw after late strike from Sylla

[Image: webp-1606411368.jpg]

Substitute Idrissa Sylla equalised in the dying moments to help NorthEast United hold Kerala Blasters to a 2-2 draw in an Indian Super League game, here on Thursday.

Goals from Sergio Cidoncha (5th minute) and Gary Hooper (45th) gave Kerala a 2-0 lead at the break. But Ghanaian striker Kwesi Appiah (51st) reduced the margin before Sylla's injury-time equaliser enabled NorthEast to go home with a point in their kitty.

After a minute's silence to honour late Diego Maradona, Kerala got off to a dream start with Cidoncha heading in a Seityasen free-kick in the 5th minute. The Spaniard's looped header was a thing of beauty — no goalkeeper in the world could have saved that.

Sahal Abdul Samad's absence had meant that Cidoncha was playing higher up and that strategy worked a treat. In the 23rd minute, Hooper fluffed a sitter when NorthEast's defense was caught off guard.

Cidoncha, after receiving the ball from Hooper, squared it back to him, with the Englishman facing an open goal. Hooper's first-time shot, though, blazed over the bar. Both teams struggled to create clear-cut chances until the end of the first half when an offensive move from Kerala ended with the referee pointing to the spot.

Rakesh Pradhan was rather harshly adjudged to have slashed Lalthathanga Khawlhring down. Hooper fired the resulting penalty straight down the middle.

NorthEast keeper Subhasish Roy Chowdhury managed to get a foot to it, but the touch wasn't enough to keep the ball out. The Highlanders started the second-half positively and were soon rewarded for their intent. Some poor defending by Kerala allowed Appiah to score from close range.

However, Appiah turned villain later when NorthEast were awarded a penalty in the 65th minute. The Ghanian tried to find Lalengmawia, but the latter was brought down in the box by Jessel Carneiro.

Appiah stepped up to take the penalty but his spot-kick hit the crossbar before ricocheting out. Minutes after his miss, Appiah was replaced by Guinean forward Sylla who would go on to have a major influence on the game.

Nus' side kept knocking on the door and were soon rewarded for their efforts. Sylla missed a chance to draw level in the 83rd minute when he directed a header over the bar.

But he made up for that in injury time, superbly controlling a long ball from Gurjinder Kumar with his chest before powering home past Kerala keeper Albino Gomes.

In the end, the draw ensured that NorthEast remained unbeaten after two games.


Roy Krishna, Manvir Singh seal ATK Mohun Bagan's first ISL derby win over SC East Bengal

[Image: image-3-1606495755.jpg]

Fijian striker Roy Krishna continued his prolific goal-scoring form as he helped ATK Mohun Bagan prevail over SC East Bengal 2-0 in the first ever Indian Super League derby here on Friday.

Krishna, who had scored ATKMB's lone goal against Kerala Blasters in their campaign opener, struck in the 49th minute before Manvir Singh killed the contest in the 85th minute with a solo effort.

With two wins on the trot, ATK Mohun Bagan led the table with six points, followed by Northeast United FC.

It was a typical Antonio Lopez Habas' style of play that panned out on the field as ATKMB were slow to get off the blocks before taking control of the game.

Their defence, helmed by Tiri, put up a disciplined show to return with a clean slate for their second successive match.

For Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler, who built the SC East Bengal in less than a month's time, it was a disappointing start to his coaching stint in India as he was let down badly by his striker up front.

As the sole striker, Balwant Singh was wayward up front and missed a sitter at the hour mark when he blasted over the bar just in front of the net.

They had the better ball possession but looked thin up front, leaving too much to do for their vice-captain and former Norwich City winger Anthony Pilkington.

Plenty to prove as a coach in the ISL, Fowler went in for a defensive 4-3-2-1 formation with Narayan Das, Scott Neville, Daniel Fox and Rana Gharami in the backline.

Habas, the most successful ISL coach, was predictable in his approach, bringing back David Williams alongside Krishna, while Pritam Kotal, Tiri and Sandesh Jhingan guarded the goalmouth.

As in their last match against Kerala Blasters, ATKMB struggled to get going initially, while SCEB made some fine attacking moves but lacked the finishing touches.

The first opportunity came in the seventh minute when Anthony Pilkington brilliantly broke through the defences from the left but only to trip on his way inside the box.

Balwant had another brilliant chance in the 38th minute from a Surchandra Singh cross but the striker hit it past the far post.

ATKMB had their first real chance just a minute before with Javier Hernandez on the target but Debjit Majumder came on his way as the first half saw a stalemate.

Like in the last match when he struck the winner after the changeover, Krishna broke the deadlock and this time with a powerful left-footer past a diving Majumder.

It was Jayesh Rane who made a dashing run on the left and sent in a through ball to Hernandez before Krishna took control of the ball for a clinical finish.

SCEB almost got an equaliser in the 83rd minute with Pilikington firing in from the left but ATKMB custodian Arindam Bhattacharja stood tall and ensured another clean sheet for Habas' side.

A minute later, Manvir chased a ball from the midfield and made a fine run, beating the SCEB defence before firing past Majumder and sealing three points from the big match.

The red-and-gold brigade wore black armbands in memory of the Argentine legend Diego Maradona who died of heart attack on Wednesday.

Before the kickoff, both the teams observed one minute's silence in honour of Indian football stalwarts P K Banerjee and Chuni Goswami who died this year.


Hyderabad FC play goalless draw, share points with Bengaluru at Fatorda

[Image: webp-1606582574.jpg]

Hyderabad FC settled for their second successive draw, a stalemate, in the Indian Super League, splitting points with Bengaluru FC at the Fatorda Stadium, here on Saturday.

Getting four points from two outings is the best start in the league for Hyderabad. However, it was a frustrating evening for Bengaluru FC, who are yet to taste a win this season.

The two sides showed attacking intent from the word go and BFC had their first attempt as early as the fifth minute. Ashique Kuruniyan tried his luck from a distance but his effort took a deflection before being collected by Hyderabad custodian Subrata Paul.

This turned out to be the only attempt at goal in the first session. Hyderabad's adamant defending frustrated Bengaluru, who struggled to take the ball up to their attacking trio of Sunil Chhetri, Kristian Opseth and Udanta Singh. Trying to find an alternative, Bengaluru engaged in long-range shots, which proved futile.

Going forward, Hyderabad were the better side in the first half. The men in yellow nearly took the lead in the 25th minute from a Lluis Sastre set-piece. Bengaluru keeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu denied Aridane Santana’s header with a full-stretch save to keep the scores level.

Hyderabad pushed Bengaluru deep in their territory with Halicharan Narzary, Joel Chianese and Santana making regular inroads. However, the visitors suffered a blow before the break as their foreigners – Chianese and Sastre limped off the pitch with Yasir and Sharma replacing the duo.

Despite making a half-time change, replacing Kristian Opseth with Dimas Delgado, Bengaluru had nothing different to offer as their opponents continued to dominate the play.

Santana's struggle continued as he missed a great opportunity to put his side ahead in the 55th minute. After dribbling past the Bengaluru defence, the Spaniard's shot was way off target.

Both sides repeatedly tried to find the net from distance with the attempts being either blocked or going way off target.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Nairrk for this post:
  • Ask1993

Chennaiyin FC, Kerala Blasters play goalless draw

[Image: PTI29-11-2020_000260B.jpg]

Chennaiyin FC and Kerala Blasters FC played out a goalless draw in an Indian Super League match here on Sunday.

The draw meant the two-time ISL champions remained in the third spot with four points from two matches while Kerala Blasters are in seventh place, having yet to secure a win and two points.

The CFC coach Csaba Laszlo rang in the changes towards the end in an attempt to find the goal but that did not happen.

Chennaiyin missed an excellent opportunity to take lead in the 74th minute when Jakub Sylvestr's penalty was saved by the Blasters custodian Albino Gomes.

The penalty came about after CFC broke down the right and the ball was squared into the box towards Rafael Schuler Crivellaro. He was tackled from behind by Sergio Cidoncha and the referee pointed to the spot.

In the first half, CFC appeared to have the upper hand though they could not break through. Also, their defending was good as they kept KBFC at bay and have not given many chances for them to come near the goal.

In the 26th minute, Jakub Sylvestr headed into the goal but it was deemed offside, much to the CFC's disappointment.

Blasters' Nongdamba Naorem squandered a chance to break the deadlock when he failed to find the target from close range. Also, Costa Nhamoinesu's header was blocked by Crivellaro as CFC kept the Kerala team at bay.

The Blasters picked up momentum and were more attacking towards the end but failed to find the back of the net.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Nairrk for this post:
  • Ask1993

East Bengal look to step up against Mumbai City FC, claim maiden win

[Image: webp-1606734289.jpg]

SC East Bengal will look to beef up their attack and secure a maiden win in the Indian Super League when they face Mumbai City FC here on Tuesday.

Despite heavy odds, the Robbie Fowler-coached East Bengal put up a creditable show in their first outing of ISL, against ATK Mohun Bagan even though they lost 0-2.

Last to enter the ISL, Fowler had less than a month to build the squad and if that was not enough they were pitted against their formidable arch-rivals on debut.

But Fowler's side dominated possession and their former Norwich City winger Anthony Pilkington looked threatening in the midfield. It was lack of finishing prowess with Balwant Singh up front that proved costly for them.

Fowler named a defensive formation against the well-set ATK Mohun Bagan with Balwant as the sole striker, putting the experienced Jeje Lalpekhlua on the bench, something that did not work out.

Fowler's newly-built side would need to reorganise their forward and convert their chances when they clash against the Sergio Lobera-outfit that beat a 10-man FC Goa 1-0 with a late strike in their second round game.

Apart from Pilkington, SCEB's German midfielder Matti Steinmann looked strong in passes and held possession for long, but their Indian contingent would need to buck up.

Fowler hoped their new team would turn it around quickly and move up from the bottom spot in the 11-team table.

"It's not been the most ideal preparation. For a team that has been together for two-and-a-half weeks, I think we put in a good performance," Fowler said of their 0-2 defeat to ATKMB.

"But we've accepted it, adapted to it. We were incredibly late coming here, so we have not trained together. But the way we played, we proved we can get better and better."

The Islanders also had started off on a losing note, going down to NorthEast United 0-1 in a match in which they looked wayward with their shots. They opened their account against FC Goa but were far from convincing.

The combination of Adam Le Fondre and Bartholomew Ogbeche has not worked for Lobera while Mourtada Fall struggled to get going against FC Goa. Against a team with weak finishing, Fowler would fancy his chances.

Ahead of their crucial game against SC East Bengal, Lobera said their Tuesday's opponents were new in the league but they have very experienced players.

"It is going to be a good game, because they are a very good team in defence. We need to work very well to win the game," the Spaniard said.

"Our plan is the same, always our focus is to try and improve our level and to try and learn about our mistakes, which we made in the last two games and nothing changes about what I want as a coach. "I want to have possession of the ball, but it is not easy. They are a very organised team, it is not easy to find spaces, we need to be smart," he said, adding it was important to win the next game.

This will be Mumbai FC left-back Mandar Rao Desai's 100th game in the ISL.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Nairrk for this post:
  • Ask1993

FC Goa's hunt for maiden win continues after they draw 1-1 against NorthEast United

[Image: webp-1606754558.jpg]

FC Goa's search for a first win this season continues after their 1-1 draw against NorthEast United in the Indian Super League (ISL) at the Fatorda Stadium on Monday. Igor Angulo scored just three minutes after NorthEast went ahead through a penalty that was successfully converted by Idrissa Sylla.

Sylla was brought down inside the box by Ivan Gonzalez in the 38th minute and the referee pointed to the spot straightaway. Sylla found the target the first time but he had to take it again after Lalrempuia Fanai was found to have entered the box before the kick was taken. Sylla went down the middle the second time while Mohammad Nawaz dove to his left and NorthEast took the lead.

However, the Goa equaliser came in the 43rd minute. Brandon Fernandes went past his man with some lovely skill and put the ball into the box. It found Angulo who flicked it in first time.

Both sides struggled to put together a decisive move for the rest of the match. Goa came closest with midfielder Alberto Noguera hitting the post from outside the box. While Goa had more shots, it is interesting to note that only two of them were on target while all three of NorthEast's attempts were on target.


Adam Le Fondre stars as Mumbai City FC crush SC East Bengal 3-0

[Image: image-10-1606841577.jpg]

Adam Le Fondre struck twice as Mumbai City FC outplayed SC East Bengal 3-0 in their Indian Super League clash at the GMC Stadium here on Tuesday.

Hugo Boumous assisted all three goals as a brace from Adam Le Fondre (20', 48') and a strike from Hernan Santana (58') saw Mumbai register their second straight win with SCEB yet to open their account.

The Islanders broke the deadlock in the 20th minute with a superb counter-attack from Hugo Boumous, who beat his marker and found Le Fondre, who made an easy tap in.

All hell broke loose after the changeover as East Bengal conceded twice in space of 10 minutes with Fondre completing his brace from a penalty in the 48th minute.

Spanish midfielder Hernan Santana then nailed in a goal in the 58th from an Ahmed Jahouh pass to take the Islanders to the top of the table, alongside ATK Mohun Bagan.

The Sergio Lobera side now have six points from three matches, while SC East Bengal remained at the bottom of the table, yet to open their account in their debut ISL season.

This was a second successive defeat for the Robbie Fowler-coached SCEB who lost to their arch-rivals ATK Mohun Bagan by a solitary goal on their ISL debut.

The red and gold suffered an early setback when their captain Daniel Fox sustained an injury and had to be replaced by Mohammed Rafique in the seventh minute.

East Bengal got a chance in the 19th minute but Rafique's shot was denied by a diving Amrinder Singh.

Then it was Mumbai City FC who rule the proceedings starting with a supreme counter-attack.

It was Rowllin Borges who played a long ball to Boumous on the left flank as he went past a sloppy Surchandra Singh to set up the goal for Fondre.

After the changeover, SCEB goalkeeper Majumder came out of his line and committed a foul as the referee blew the whistle, pointing to the spot.

Fondre doubled the lead sending the ball to the opposite side of a diving Majumder.

The Islanders got their third goal when Jahouh delivered a fantastic ball from the free-kick and Santana took control of it before smashing it into the bottom right corner.

SC East Bengal looked really unorganised in the defence and Surchandra playing as the left back looked completely out of place.


Hyderabad look to continue unbeaten run in clash against Jamshedpur

[Image: image-9-1606832133.jpg]

Hyderabad FC will look to continue their unbeaten run when they play their third game in 10 days, taking on Jamshedpur FC in an Indian Super League match at the Tilak Maidan here on Wednesday.

While the league has seen a series of draws over the weekend, Hyderabad and Jamshedpur are coming into the game on the back of contrasting form.

While Manolo Marquez's Hyderabad are unbeaten in two games to be currently placed at the fourth position, Owen Coyle's Jamshedpur are ninth in the table.

Jamshedpur played two eventful games so far – a season opening 1-2 loss to Chennaiyin FC followed by a 2-2 draw against Odisha FC on Sunday.

Interestingly, they played both these games at the Tilak Maidan, while HFC will step foot on the ground for the first time this season.

Coyle has some highly-talented names like Amarjit Singh, Narender Gahlot, Jitendra Singh and Isaac Vanmalsawma at his disposal.

The additions of Peter Hartley, Stephen Eze, Laldinliana Renthlei, Jackichand Singh and Ricky Lallawmawma bring in some solidity.

But the form of Nerijus Valskis, the top goal-scorer in the league, with three goals in his first two games, could be the biggest threat for HFC in this clash.

"For me, Jamshedpur is a strong team. They have very good players in attack, not only Nerijus Valskis. People speak about him because he is a very good centre-forward but for me they are one team who can score in all moments of the game," Marquez said.

Hyderabad FC come into this game on the back of a goalless draw against Bengaluru FC. While Marquez's men put in a strong performance on the night, injuries to Lluis Sastre and Joel Chianese dampened a spirited outing from the club.

Giving an update on these injuries, Marquez said, "We don't know the exact time for recovery. Chianese has a problem with his ankle ligament. Lluis Sastre has a muscle strain. For sure, they are not playing tomorrow. But we don't yet know how long they are out for."

However, there were plenty of positives to take from the game, as HFC registered consecutive clean sheets and were comfortable in keeping Bengaluru's attack at bay for most of that game.

Marquez believes that there is still a lot of room for improvement for his side.

"We showed good character in the first two games. But it's only two games. At this moment, it's difficult to improve in defence because–two clean sheets and not many chances conceded," the coach said.

"But you always have to improve. I think in the final pass, in front of goal, we can do better. We have taken many shots from 25-30 yards out, but I think we can take few risks in this part of the pitch and be more dangerous," he added.


Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)