Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Update Italian Open: Top Seeds Simona Halep, Karolina Pliskova Into Last Eight In Rome

[Image: Simona-Halep-640-AFP.jpg?impolicy=websit...height=363]

Simona Halep and defending women's champion Karolina Pliskova both eased into the quarter-finals of the Italian Open on Friday. Top seed Halep rallied from 3-0 down in the first set to see off Ukraine's Dayana Yastremska in a 7-5, 6-4 victory that took one hour and 28 minutes. "Big picture, I think it was a great match and gives me confidence that even in these conditions with a big hitter that I could win in two sets," said Halep. The two-time Rome finalist next meets Yulia Putintseva, who battled back from 6-4, 5-2 down to see off fellow Kazakh Elena Rybakina, the 10th seed, 4-6, 7-6 (7/3), 6-2.

"I expect a tough battle but I feel fit," said former French Open champion Halep, a runner-up in Rome in 2017 and 2018.

"I feel good with my body. I'm ready to face her and tomorrow, hopefully, I will play better than today."

Halep is warming up on clay for the French Open, a tournament she won in 2018, after skipping the US tour because of coronavirus fears.

Her last win was in Prague a month ago.

Read