Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Update Mohun Bagan get I-League trophy after seven months, fan frenzy on streets

[Image: pjimage-2020-10-18t163925-1603019369.jpg]

Seven months after they emerged I League champions, Mohun Bagan players were finally presented the glittering winner's trophy at a ceremony, here on Sunday.

The Mariners had downed former champions Aizawl FC 1-0 to clinch the I-League with four rounds to spare on March 10 but the celebrations had to wait because of the COVID-19 pandemic that ended the season abruptly.

The trophy was handed over to some of the players and officials by I-League CEO Sunando Dhar in the presence of Club President Swapan Sadhan Bose and West Bengal Sports Minister Aroop Biswas.

In the absence of their I-League winning coach Kibu Vicuna his deputy Ranjan Chowdhury was there along with defender Dhanchandra Singh and a handful of support staff members.

"I'm very happy to be with you on this special day to celebrate our I-League triumph. Finally the moment has come but unfortunately, I could not attend because of the pandemic," Vicuna, who is now the head coach of Kerala Blasters FC, said in a video message.

Mohun Bagan, who have now joined Indian Super League after a buyout by reigning champions ATK, had organised the ceremony at a five-star hotel in presence of selected invitees, keeping in mind the COVID-19 health protocols.

Read