Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Update Premier League:Frustration for Frank Lampard as Chelsea held, Leicester City draw 1-1

[Image: new-project-2020-12-29t053413-1609200279.jpg]

Not even another goal from talisman Olivier Giroud could give Chelsea coach Frank Lampard the change in fortune he needs, as his team drew 1-1 with Aston Villa in the Premier League on Monday.

That makes it just one win in the past five games for Lampard, who recruited heavily during the summer transfer window to mount a title challenge yet still seems unsure what his best side is. Sixth-place Chelsea is six points behind leader Liverpool, having played one game more than the defending champion.

“This is our tough period at the moment, and we have to fight for it and we’ll be stronger for it,” Lampard said. “I thought we deserved to win the game, but we didn't and we continue to go through a difficult patch."

Giroud's goals late last season inspired Chelsea to secure a place in this season's Champions League and vindicated Lampard's decision to give the veteran France forward a run of games.

After starting Tammy Abraham in the past two league outings, he went for Giroud this time and the Frenchman put Chelsea ahead with an excellent diving header from Ben Chilwell's cross in the 34th minute.

“The attitude of the team was good," Lampard said. "I saw some really good signs tonight that I liked.”

But Villa showed its resilient streak to level through Anwar El Ghazi in the 50th minute and create further chances, with midfielder John McGinn's superb 25-minute strike rattling the crossbar in the 69th minute.

Both sides are level on points with tough games coming up.

Read