Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Update US Open finalist Victoria Azarenka hopes to inspire mothers

US Open 2020: Victoria Azarenka hopes she, Serena Williams inspire mothers to go after dreams

[Image: serenaazarenkausopen_1200x768.png?vbkhCO...ze=770:433]

ormer World No. 1 Victoria Azarenka is back in the US Open final 7 years after her 2nd appearance at the Flushing Meadows women's singles title match. The 31-year-old stunned 3rd seed and 23-time champion Serena Williams after coming back from behind in the semi-final on Friday.

Victoria Azarenka and Serena Williams became the first set of mothers to reach the semifinals of the same Grand Slam tournament. There were nine mothers in the field at US Open 2020.

Azarenka, who gave birth to a son in 2016, hopes she and Serena can inspire mothers to pursue their dreams. The 2-time Grand Slam champion said being a parent is a tough job and balancing it gives a great deal of satisfaction and motivation.

"I am so grateful to be able to play such a champion in the semi-final. The road to the final, you have to beat the best players, today was that day," Azarenka said at during the on-court interview at the Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Asked what it means to the world to see 'mothers' Serena and herself play at the highest level, Azarenka said: "Well, I hope it inspires women to go after their dreams. I feel like you can't always identify yourself as just one thing, you have many things you can do in your life.

"Being a parent, to me, is the most important thing in my life. But I am a tennis player on the court, a fighter on the court. I want to go after my dreams, my personal dreams. Inspire my child.

Read